Tuesday, March 25, 2008
posted by heather at 8:43 PM

I've heard much conversation about a new show on TLC recently and finally checked it out this week, watching the first two episodes over the last couple of days. I'm intrigued.
I think Paul McKenna is right on... I think that his motivators of not dieting and just eating sensibly and being more active are exactly the direction people need to be pointed in. And by sensibly I don't even mean following any certain "sensible" menu of low carbs/low fat/low cal or wholesome good for you foods... granted non processed foods are a healthier choice, but in terms of weight loss or weight management it's more about how and when you're eating rather than what exactly you're eating.
I have to admit it throws me off a bit when he goes through someone's kitchen and says to throw out the "healthy foods" you don't like, the things that you buy and make yourself eat only because they're good for you and you think you should be eating them. And then tells them to keep their "stash" cupboard stocked with their favorite treats and indulgences.
But you know what? That's exactly how I lived from the age of 20 to 30 and I never gave my weight a second glance. I ate when I was hungry, I stopped when I wasn't, I didn't eat when I was bored, I wasn't an emotional eater, I didn't run to my "stash" out of desperation... I ate what I wanted when I wanted and only as much as I needed. I always had candy or desserts around, I just didn't eat them often. I could have a bowl of candy out and it would take a month or two to dwindle down to empty. I only had one here and there... I didn't want to eat the whole bowl in one day.

And that is McKenna's basic philosophy. He claims that anyone of any weight can get to and maintain their ideal weight... be "naturally thin" by following these four basic rules:
-eat when you are hungry
-eat what you want, not what you think you should (of course taking into account dietary restrictions such as diabetes, allergies and such)
-eat slowly, consciously and be aware of every mouthful
-stop when you even think you might be full

And I fully believe in that... as in staying "naturally thin". I'm just not convinced that losing that extra weight happens without some extra effort on the part of food choices. I've been saying all along that however I've put on this extra thirty pounds; two pregnancies, a couple of stressful relocations, some depression, picking up unhealthy eating habits.... I've been hoping that if I can just buckle down and drop this extra weight, then I can go back to my "old" habits which are exactly McKenna's "golden rules" and I'll be able to maintain that weight without stressing about dieting. But can it just happen naturally? Without being severe or super vigilant about low glycemic or low carbs or only good carbs or low fats? Or at least hugely stepping up an exercise regiment which I sooo am not a fan of. I mean, I'm all for walking, staying active, etc... but I just am not a workout person.

Anyway, there was a woman on his show last night who lost 165 lbs and has kept it off for three years... just by following that very simple advice. Just by being aware of when and how much she was eating. Just by paying attention to her body and it's signals.
And there's a couple that McKenna is meeting with throughout his shows and the man weighs I don't know like 350? 400 lbs? We're talking dangerous dangerous health here. And he's been applying the basic rules and his fiance says still eating exactly what they want, whenever they're feeling hungry, but paying attention to how much they're eating, putting down their forks in between bites and intentionally chewing and enjoying the food, and then stopping when they might start to be feeling satisfied and full, they have completely made a turn for the better. She said that she would guess he is eating about a fourth of the food he previously consumed. And he is not missing it in any way.
And I think that's amazing. And I understand it working for the people who are consuming so much more than they need to be. But for people who are only 10, 20, 30 pounds over where they want to be, is it really going to just melt off like that? I honestly don't feel like I eat much. I know I don't wolf my food down, and I usually stop eating well before I'm stuffed or too full. So is following these guidelines -that I'm not really sure I've strayed too far from- really going to result in a difference for me, or do I have to be intentional in other ways to shave these pounds off?

*****
I guess my only caveat would be snacking.
I've never considered myself an emotional eater. However, I have realized in the last couple of years with these cross country moves, I think I am doing that more. I think I've been lonely and a little depressed at times and I think subconsciously I must be eating more to make up for it. Where I used to be able to have that bowl of candy around and barely nibble on it here or there, now I take some anytime I'm in the same room as it. And not just one but three or four. Or ten.
Something that really caught my attention in watching these two shows of McKenna's the last couple of days was when he mentioned emotional eating, he would list off emotions of anger, stress, depression... and then boredom. He would rattle off all of these real up and down physically reactive emotions, and then always boredom would be thrown in there. I've never really considered that boredom being an emotion or that being bored or restless would be considered a trigger of emotional eating. But sure enough, that's mine. Sure I'm busy, sure I have a million things on my plate, but really? Day to day? In between these moves and being unfamiliar with areas and trying to break into communities and groups and make new friends and get settled and actually feel at home and comfortable and able to call up just anyone to go do something or to watch my kids for me or to talk about nothing in particular but just to say hi?.... In actuality I'm bored. Bored and restless and that probably boils down to being lonely. Not a depressed, woe is me kind of lonely, but a don't really have go-to friends to hang out with whenever or to chat with at a moment's notice kind of restless lonely.
Does that make any sense at all??
It's getting better; over time it's only getting better, but still it's there.

So I'm tuning into this show. Because apparently I do have issues to deal with. And if I need to curb the emotional eating and he has tips on how to do that, than it's only going to help right? And if I am more aware of my emotions and if all I need are reminders and the encouragement and the reinforcement of the habits of becoming "naturally thin" than I think I can manage to tune in for an hour a week to get a dose of that.

Labels:

 
3 Comments:


At March 26, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I agree with you on the whole 'going back to old habits' thing. Same here. I feel like since I only have about 10-15 lbs to lose, that maybe I have to diet to get there, and then I can just 'maintain' by eating how I normally would and working out. In my past life (before I got pregnant), yeah I always felt like I could lose those 5 lbs or whatever... that's probably just an ongoing thing I'll always deal with. But, my weight pretty much stayed the same and I was definitely not overweight. Now I feel like I just haven't gotten back in shape after pregnancy, and if I could do that (through having 'a plan') then I could just go back to how I was eating before. I don't know if that's a good or bad philosophy to have... I feel like my diet might be a 'quick fix' instead of the 'life change' they're always talking about on these shows and saying you need. But, do I really need a 'life change'? I don't know. Regardless, I think these ideas are great for someone that is trying to follow a plan or not trying. I'm going to have to check out this show!

 

At March 26, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Blogger jenny

i'm going to have to check this show out. i am an emotional eater - angry, sad, bored! i have more than 'just a few pounds' to get to my goal, but it blows my mind that you could follow his plan and loose. interesting...

 

At April 8, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

so, i tried this this past week - i ate whatever i wanted, but just really enjoyed it and listened to what my body was telling me. i have this thing about finishing whatever's on my plate, and i had to keep telling myself that i don't need to do that anymore! haha. i went to lunch with two friends and ordered a personal pizza (six litle pieces). i ate slowly, really enjoyed it, only ate 4 of them and felt satisfied. i sat there for a bit and then asked my friends if they wanted the rest. they both were like, 'no, i shouldn't...' but then they ended up eating them! so i think that affects a lot of people, it's hard to just leave food sitting there, you know?
anyway - i did lose a couple lbs this week. i can tell it makes a difference - i don't need chips with my sandwich, because my sandwich fills me up enough and satisfies me enough when i eat slowly and really enjoy it. i'm just going to keep with it for now and see if it keeps working.