Tuesday, March 4, 2008
posted by heather at 7:50 AM

It's supposed to be kind of a play on words; and lighten me... "enlighten me"... get it?
Hehe, yeah, well I'm not real good at those plays on words, so that's all I got.
But I wanted to get my thoughts together on what I'm doing here. So here's the enlightenment...

This is kind of scary. I've never actually had a goal or a plan and even if I had an idea of those in my head, I never put it out there to be accountable to anyone. So here it is.
I haven't decided whether this blog will be "public" as far as the public that knows me... I may just leave it "secretly" floating around anonymously in blogland for awhile. Although I guess that defeats the purpose of being accountable. I guess that's the scary part.

I think I do a pretty good job of "hiding" the real stuff around my middle. (unfortunately, now the stuff's been seeping into my behind and thighs and upper arms as well). I don't think most people think I'm overweight. Nowhere near thin, but overweight? No. At least I don't think so. But then I guess our perceptions of other's perceptions aren't exactly reliable now are they?
The thing is, I am overweight. Technically, on the charts, I'm right on the borderline between the normal weight range and the overweight range. But the real thing is, I'm way over the weight I want to be and I'm not happy with the way I look. I'm not comfortable with the way I look. It doesn't look like me.

I've never spoken of my weight, number wise, since I was pregnant. I actually did okay after I had my last baby two years ago. Most of the "baby weight" came off fairly easily without even trying. And even one year ago, people who I hadn't seen for a month or two at a time were still saying that I looked thinner; was I losing weight?... and I think I was, although it wasn't from trying. I think the stress and loneliness of moving across the country with a baby and a toddler was good for my figure.
But since our last move I've slowly but steadily gained whatever I'd lost back and then some. I must be happier here :)

Anyway. I need to get it together. I need to buckle down and lighten up. I need to get off my butt and do something about this because it's obviously not going away by itself this time!
So that's what I'm doing here. I'm talking specific numbers, specific actions, specific diet plans, even *gulp* specific photo documentation. Ugh. Look away. Save yourselves.
But I want to -I have to- face this all head on and have somewhere to keep myself in check and that's where this page comes in.

If you too need to, want to, or just want to pretend to, "lighten up" with me, you can follow me along here. If you don't need to, want to, or want to pretend to, but just want to encourage me (give me a swift kick in the butt) you're very much invited here too.

Welcome to the recording of my journey, my experiments, my trials, my efforts, my ups, my downs, my prayers, my laughs, my struggles, my success and my reflections on it all along the way.
 
1 Comments:


At March 5, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Blogger Kim

heather - i LOVE this blog. and i feel the same way! before max was born i was in pretty good shape - not super skinny or anything... but what we call 'minnesota skinny'... you know, you need a little extra padding for the winter. ;) but, the year i got pregnant i was pretty muscular, ran a half-marathon, etc. now, i would say i'm about at the same weight (maybe 5 lbs more?) but, definitely not the same BODY, know what i mean? obviously muscle weighs more than fat and right now i have NO muscle left. i'll definitely follow along here and maybe i'll even post my numbers, etc so we can be buddies and support each other. :)

good luck!!