Wednesday, March 5, 2008
posted by heather at 9:22 AM

I've been analyzing my shoe collection.
I've always loved shoes. I love how they can just make an outfit; add that perfect touch. I've had many an outfit revolve around a pair of shoes or flip flops. But I think I've realized that lately, shoes are my crutch. My wardrobe has drastically dwindled since having kids. And even more so in the last six months as I've gained this weight. I won't buy bigger clothes. But I'm still buying shoes. I can take the most boring solid color top and jeans and make it an "outfit" with some cute shoes. If I feel fat or frumpy in a shirt, I can distract from that feeling with some fun shoes. When I know I'm not looking my best, when I'm not doing too well at hiding the roll around my middle... I can still feel cute and stylish if people are complimenting my shoes.
How sad is that?

I realized how much I'm relying on this crutch when I spent two days shopping last weekend for just the right pair of shoes to wear to church on Sunday. I didn't have a thing to wear... unless I found new shoes. Then I could overlook the way I knew I looked in the actual clothes part of the outfit. Apparently I think it would distract other people from it as well.

I want to be excited about a whole outfit again. I want to feel comfortable in whatever I throw on and not have to worry about how a shirt hides or emphasizes my midsection and depend on shoes to take the focus off of the rest of me. I want my shoes to be an accessory again, instead of being a way to distract from me. I want to move my focus from my shoes to all of me; to be feeling good and be proud of how I look.
And it'll be nice to hear a compliment once in awhile that might be, "you look good Heather," instead of "I love your shoes."

Labels:

 
3 Comments:


At March 5, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Blogger Katie

WOW....I'm glad you shared, I know this may sound crazy...but, I actually can't wait to start weight watchers after this baby! I did it with Donnie and when he was about 5 months old, I was back to my normal weight & my cute clothes(but, I really kicked it into high-gear & walked)...I LOVED it & felt good also, physically and mentally! Soooo, needless to say I'll be in the same boat as you in a few months. It's GREAT that you started this, I think it will keep you motivated. And if you are ever searching for a healthy diet that really works give WW a shot...I know I've said it before, but I really do LOVE their program and it REALLY works, plus most of the weight stays off!! Good Luck!

 

At March 5, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Blogger Zoe

wow girl! we are soul sisters. i am going to be doing cyber fat camp fridays on my blog. starting this week...complete with pictures of my fat. try not to barf. hopefully we can support one another!

 

At March 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Blogger Michelle Leigh

Yeah for you. I wish I could fit into anything right now. I'm a heffer. I would love to be excited about clothes again. I don't want to be fat after having this baby, I want to feel cute, and comfortable in my clothes, no fat hanging over things... I'm glad you shared and see you at fat camp!